In today’s competitive and long working hours environment, more and more people are considering quitting their 9 to 5 jobs and starting their own business from home. While this can be a positive spirit for a person to pursue what he or she really wants in life, it should be carefully thought through. Starting a business working from home is not as easy as it sounds. While I agree that there are many great opportunities around (yes, even during economic downturn) that you can evaluate, the more important factor is to start evaluating ONESELF first!
The first step is to do some self evaluation and soul-searching to better understand yourself before making a final decision to quit your day job and become your own boss. This is a very important step as most self employed or business owners failed not because that the opportunities given are not good enough but rather they are lack of focus and self-discipline.
Only when you are open up and explore your inmost self with honesty, you will know whether working from home is something that is right for you.
Below are some self evaluation tips and soul-searching questions that you need to consider carefully before deciding to quit your day job and work for yourself, especially if you are a newbie and have never ventured in any business opportunity before.
1. What is your personal mission statement in life? As Stephen Covey wrote in his popular book “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”, the second habit he talks about is “Begin with the End In Mind”. He recommends formulating a “personal vision statement” to document one’s perception of one’s own vision in life. What do you want to accomplish in your life? One effective way to write your personal mission statement is to visualize the day when you die. What do you want your loved ones and friends to say and remember about you? Another approach is to write your own obituary. Without a clear personal mission statement, you will quickly lose focus and direction in your business.
2. Are you self-motivated? Perhaps one of the most crucial qualities for people who are self-employed to succeed. Without self motivation, you will always find yourself putting things off. You won’t be able to accomplish anything as there is no one there to motivate you or watch over your shoulder when you’re your own boss. So if you are not a self-motivated kind of person, earning money working from home is definitely a NO-NO for you.
3. Are you persistent? Understand that there is no “instant gratification” when you’re doing your own business. You won’t get a paycheck every month like you do in a 9 to 5 job. Initially, you may need to work very hard for little rewards. If you’re not persistent or don’t believe in yourself and the business, you will have find yourself given up very quickly. Of course, it is possible to earn good money with a home business but, you need to remember that it will take hard work, time and persistence to achieve success.
4. Are you financially responsible? A very important quality for all business owners. When you’re your own boss, you’re a CEO, accountant and finance manager. You’re responsible in managing and controlling your business budget. When you start making profits, you need to know how to manage it wisely. Often times, you will want to put a portion of your profit back into your business to help it grow and expand further.
5. Are you hungry for success? If you want to be an entrepreneur, you have to think and behave like one. Understand that business is not the same as hobby where you can take it lightly. If you treat your business like a hobby, you will never be able to achieve true success. A business needs to be worked at seriously and professionally, you can’t allow personal things to get into your business. Remember what the headline in Donald Trump’s Apprentice show say? “It’s Not Personal – It’s Just Business”.
These are just few things you need to consider carefully before you start telling yourself that you want to quit your day job and start earning money from home on your own. Make sure you really know what you want to achieve in your life. What is your personal mission in life? Ask yourself some soul-searching questions and answer them honestly. So, take the time to do a thorough and honest self-evaluation first before making a final decision to quit your day job and work from home. Hope this article is useful for you.